« Home | June 19 » | June 18 » | June 17 » | June 13-16 » | June 12 » | June 11 » | June 10 » | June 9 » | June 8 » | June 7 » 

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 

June 20

The original plan for today was to hike 15 miles and make it over Moxie Bald Mountain, but as you know, we're pathetic when it comes to plans. We woke up early enough to make it, but lack of motivation kept us from getting out of the sleeping bags. We sat around until nine. Our day could have been worse.

Murphy, the guy with the artificial feet, found out he had broken another bolt, and all the spares he had were too short. He didn't feel comfortable hiking further, so they turned around and headed back to Monson.

The forecast for the day was rain, which held off until we had to ford a stream. Luckily, that coincided with siesta time. We forded the river, set up a miniature fire, and had lunch while trying to stay dry. We wasted about two hours waiting for the rain to quit. We eventually started hiking again.

We had less than six miles to go until we made it to the shelter. The first hour was good. I was hauling major butt and cranked out two miles. We then got separated. The last four miles killed me. My feet had already been in pain. It feels like there are deep bruises on the bottoms, and Advil won't help.

The next two miles were full of slippery rocks from hell. I eventually had to cross a little pond. There was a rope tied across it, which gave me false hope that I could cross it without having to change shoes. Big mistake. I ended up taking a seat in the middle of crossing. It was already seven by then. I tried to hurry it to camp, since we had made dinner plans, but it just wasn't happening. I finally rolled into the lean-to just shy of nine. Matt had been there since sixish.

After throwing all my gear off and giving a run down of my travels, it was time to eat. On the menu for tonight was Ghetto Pizza. We got the metal grate and laid it across the fire. On top of that, we put some aluminum foil. We then assembled our pizzas. We had some tortillas and pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. We put them all on the fire. When the cheese looked like it was starting to melt, we yanked them off. We then rolled them up. They were absolutly delicious. We each had two. It put the hot dogs from the previous night to shame.

We eventually went to sleep. I think I actually slept the whole night through. I did have a dream where Matt was driving an RV and wanted to stop for an apple, and I had to go to a skating birthday party.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.