« Home | June 18 » | June 17 » | June 13-16 » | June 12 » | June 11 » | June 10 » | June 9 » | June 8 » | June 7 » | June 6 » 

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 

June 19

Since we stayed the night at Shaw's, we decided to eat breakfast there too, since it was all you can eat. The breakfast hour was from 7 to 8, and we showed up at a fashionable 7:35. I only wanted bacon and eggs, but there are no special orders. Instead you give them a number, and that's how many you get of everything. I just went with one. I got an egg, a piece of French toast, sausage, potatoes, and one lousy piece of bacon. The whole eating experience was so-so. I then put a pin on a map, indicating where I was from, and went upstairs to finish packing.

We took everything downstairs and sat on the porch talking with a few people. Eventually the lady took us back to the trailhead so we could continue our journey. She gave me a hug, which was weird, since I never talked to her. She also told us to mail her a postcard when we finish. I owe her money for laundry, so the chances of her hearing from me are quite slim.

The rest of the morning was uneventful. We mastered using our hiking poles, and my speed increased.

Around noon, we decided to try our new idea that we've been discussing for days. We were close to a lake, so we headed in that direction. The plan was to eat lunch there and take a nap. We have decided to adopt the siesta from 12 to 2. We were looking for a parking lot, but instead found several small cabins. We knocked on one door to ask a lady for directions, but she only told us how to get to the AT and not the lake. We ended up taking a nap in the shade at one house. They had a hammock to sleep in, but their windows were open, so we didn't know when they'd be home. The naptime went over very well.

The afternoon was full of more hiking. We forded a stream, but it wasn't a big deal, since it hasn't really rained in two weeks.

Tonight's lodging is the horseshoe canyon lean-to. We were met by Murphy, Whiskers, and Emily. They went to bed and we cooked hot dogs. It was a nice transition back into hiking.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.