« Home | June 10 » | June 9 » | June 8 » | June 7 » | June 6 » | June 5 » | June 4 » 

Monday, June 11, 2007 

June 11

Today started kind of slow. Most of the other people were gone by eight. I took forever for me to pack up my gear. We made several more comments about how Willie should try dudes, and somehow he told us a story about how he wore ladies' underwear to high school one day.

Scarred for life, I headed out around 9:30.

Willie said he was going to spend the morning swimming naked. Matt made the comment that if Willie kissed a dude, it would be the first natural thing he'd have seen on the trail.

Ten minutes after I left camp, I fell face first into a puddle of mud. It was awesome. I walked a little ways to a stream, and tried to wring out my shirt.

The rest of the morning was uneventful. We climbed a smallish mountain. I told Matt that I'd meet him ahead at the spring. I attempted to get cell service, and when that didn't happen, I enjoyed the view. I walked off on some rocks and found a hat with a mosquito net. I was afraid of finding a dead camper, but I didn't.

I met Matt down the road at the spring. We were both dying of thirst. Since his pace is much faster, I told him to hike on to the second lean-to and that if I didn't make the first lean-to by six, I would just stay the night there.

I made a quick footwear change, putting on my Croc flipflops. I happily wore them until the next lean-to. To get there I had to cross a swift moving stream. The guide book says you're supposed to ford it, but I used my amazing balancing skills and made it across on two fallen logs.

When I got there, there was a dude who was about to go down to the steam to bathe and do laundry. After spying on him for several hours, I headed on. Ten minutes after I left, I had another mud episode. My flipflops were sucked in. They made it out safely, but I had to make another footwear change.

Life was good for the next hour. Then it started to rain.

I had no desire to head back, which would mean another night with Willie, so I soldiered forth. I crossed a road a mile and a half before the lean-to. The car I had been praying about was not there to meet me. There was a spring there to quench my thirst, which was good because I was almost out of water. It took me almost two hours to climb to the lean-to. Some idiot had the great idea to put it on the side of a mountain.

I finally made it to my resting spot at 8. Matt's eyes popped out of his head. He thought I wouldn't have made it and stayed at the previous lean-to. He said I had heart.

Our pals from the previous night are not here. We think they went to a camp site after the mountains. We're sharing the shelter with Adam from outside of Birmingham. I didn't ask if he knew my brother. Today's total mileage was 11.5.

Tomorrow is an easy day (only 7ish), but it's all mountains.

But mountains mean cell service. Hooray!

I see a commercial or at least a cartoon in this.

A climber makes the long and arduous journey to the peak of the mountain. For the wise man to tell him the meaning of life? Nope. For good cell service.

I just found this through Sam's site. My best to you.

Mike

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Web This Blog

Previous posts

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.