« Home | June 9 » | June 8 » | June 7 » | June 6 » | June 5 » | June 4 » 

Sunday, June 10, 2007 

June 10

Today was an 11ish mile day. We slept until about nine. As we were packing up, we met a Northbounder named Toothpick. He told us that the other Northbounder we saw hiking the other day was trying to make it from Monson to Katahdin in 3 days. We were beyond amazed. We told him about our sad hamburger experience and he decided to go there for lunch. He had done the same 11 miles we were about to do in about four hours. Our faces melted even more.

The morning started at a quick pace. We did over two miles in the first hour. Mathieu said he thought he heard voices when he left the lean-to. Afraid of meeting Willie, we kept on running.

We did make a brief stop at the lake to soak our feet. The mosquitoes were out in full force today. Add that to my list of things I never want to see again.

We kept a quick pace for the first few hours. We ran into some new Southbounders, Jeremy and Brad. They had stayed at the burger place the night before. They even brought a slice of pizza to eat in front of Matt's face. We asked about Willie, and they didn't think he would catch up with us. We also asked about Joey and George. They said they thought George went home.

A little while later down the trail, we ran into Joey and he confirmed the story. The three of them passed us. After hiking about four hours, I began to wilt. I pulled over to a stream to take a breather. Matt stopped for awhile, but headed on without me. I stayed a few more minutes and headed out. I decided to hike in my flipflops the rest of the afternoon.

It was an uneventful time. I saw a tiny snake. I also saw a man and his adult son. They were only doing the 100 miles. I eventually made it to the lean-to. It's an almost full house. It's our two new friends, Joey, Matt, and me. It sleeps six.

I believe there will be a lot of cuddling and spooning.

Around eight another dude showed up. We shuffled around and made room for him. Twenty or thirty minutes after that, my favorite person showed up. No one believed me when I said he might. We made no attempt to squeeze him in.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Web This Blog

Previous posts

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.