« Home | June 13-16 » | June 12 » | June 11 » | June 10 » | June 9 » | June 8 » | June 7 » | June 6 » | June 5 » | June 4 » 

Sunday, June 17, 2007 

June 17

Today started semi -early. We woke up around 5:30ish, but I didn't head out until 8. We only had three miles left to hike until civilization.

The first part of the trek was a tad uphill, but the last two miles were relatively easy. We got done much sooner than we thought, around 10:30. We took a picture by the sign. We had only been done for ten minutes when our ride showed up. His name was Buddy, and he runs shuttles for hikers. Murphy had told him that we might come out last night or in the morning. He waited for a bit the previous night, but said he didn't mind because he likes to read books there.

We asked him if any hotels in Greenville had pools. He called his wife, who was at home mowing the grass, and she didn't think so. He then drove us around Greenville, pointing out places to stay and where the outfitters store was. We finally found a place. I think it was called Chalet Moosehead or something.

I sprung for the room with a kitchenette. I then had the hot shower of my dreams. After we both got clean and pretty, we headed out for lunch. We dined at Kelly's Landing, which was just down the road. They have an all you can eat breakfast on Sundays, but we missed it by a few hours. The food was mediocre at best. I had cheesesticks and chicken. The prices were reasonable, but the service was lacking. It was not the feast we dreamed of, but it got us through the next few hours.

On the way back to the room we stopped at a gas station for snacks. I got some Dr. Peppers and some suckers. As I was walking back it started to rain. I made it back safely before any real downpour started.

We stayed around the room for a bit watching Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel. I've never seen the show before, and I now think I've found the dumbest person alive.

After being grossed out, we decided to head to town. It was a nice thirty-minute walk to our destination. We hit up the outfitters first. I bought trekking poles, fuel, and some pants, having split mine earlier. I then sat around reading the paper while Matt got on the Internet.

We then hit up the grocery store to resupply. Combined, we bought about $100 worth of food. We then made the long walk back, which was not easy with our multiple shopping bags. We then sat around the room some more watch Man vs. Wild (I think there was some sort of marathon). We saw him bite the spine of a fish, eat a frog, and bake a turtle. This totally got us in the mood for dinner.

After looking through the leaflet they call the yellow pages, we called all the pizza places, and no one delivered. We then decided to walk back to town. It turns out that there's a pizza place close to the room. We stopped there and ordered a pizza. The chick said it was going to be 25 minutes, so Matt decided to run into town to use the ATM, because Monson doesn't have one. She told him it would take him no time to make it there and back.

Forty minutes later, he finally returned.

I sat in the pizza place waiting, since he had the key. We then scurried back to the room and feasted. I only had two slices, but Matt ate about four. The rest of the evening was spent watching the Discovery Channel.

I went to bed at around 9:30. I didn't miss my sleeping bag or lean-to at all.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.