« Home | June 5 » | June 4 » 

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 

June 6

We finally got our butts into gear around 1:30 or so. I headed off to the store one last time, to buy a Dr. Pepper and some more bug spray. While I was in the store, I saw my first Northbounder. He looked like a crazy homeless old man. The lady at the store said he was the first one she's seen this year.

Matt and I headed out at 2. We were dreading seeing Willie again, so we took our time getting started. We had originally planned on making it a short day, and only going the 3.5 miles to the next lean-to. We made it there in less than two hours and decided to keep on going. Willie was already at the lean-to, so we told him of our plans, which were to keep hiking and camp at a pond that was only a few miles away. He said he'd meet us there.

When making our plans, we didn't realize we'd be climbing a 1,500-foot tall mountain. It was a bit of a pain, but we were sure Willie would wimp out and we wouldn't have to see him again. We were so wrong.

At the top of the mountain, we realized that we had cell service. I called my mother and father and sent out my emails while Matt called to cancel his car insurance. We were up there for about 15 minutes when Willie came hiking up the rock. It was pretty unbelievable to see him again. I continued my trend of leaving poor Matt to deal with Willie alone.

It was about 6:00 then, and we still had about another 1.8 miles to go. I didn't see the two of them again until around nighttime, when Matt came running up the trail telling me that he had found a campsite. It was right off of the lake and was pretty nice except for the cool breeze coming off the lake. I was sad that I had sent home the inside of my tent, but was a trooper and braved the 45 degree temperature.

The evening's events included a small campfire and 20+ questions with Willie, who I now believe I know better than myself. Tonight's therapy session with Willie ended with me telling him to try being a homosexual for a while and maybe he wouldn't have any girl problems.
Matt and I are a bit worried about staying another night with him, but we think we'll leave him in our dust tomorrow. Willie said he's only going to the next shelter, which is about 8.5 miles away. We're going to shoot for a pond a few miles after that and campout again.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Web This Blog

Previous posts

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.