« Home | July 4 » | July 3 » | July 2 » | July 1 » | June 30 » | June 29 » | June 28 » | June 27 » | June 26 » | June 25 » 

Monday, July 9, 2007 

July 9

Today I had an ambitious goal: 15 miles. I even started at the respectable 8 o'clock.

But I was met with rain. Shortly after I started hiking it started to sprinkle. It then started to pour. Climbing mountains in the rain was no fun. I managed to survive the steep downhill climb without any falls. I made pretty decent time to the first lean-to, and took an hour break waiting for Matt. He never showed, so I continued hiking, in the rain. I didn't stop hiking for the next three hours. It rained the entire time. Luckily I was going to pass a road that went into Andover.

During my walk I had decided that I would like to go to town to dry off, but kept hoping Matt would pass me so I could discuss the option with him. That never happened. I waited by the road for an hour before he emerged from the wilderness. We had a chocolate bar to celebrate the cessation of the rain.

We knew the number for the hostel at the Trailhead, but we didn't get service. We then walked about a half mile down the trail, trying to get service along the way. My battery was dangerously low, which is a result from it constantly getting accidentally turned on in my pack. Matt's phone had been defeated by the rain. I eventually was lucky enough to get a signal, and our ride was on its way.

We got to the hostel a little before nightfall. I hopped right into the shower and delighted in the warm water. We then ate some delicious burgers that another hiker was cooking. It was quite the packed house. We had already met everyone there except for two Northbounders, Compass and Doc (who may be battling giardia). The rest of the crew was Tom, Shasta, and BillyGoat. Murphy, Emily, and Whiskers joined us later in the evening.

After another huge burger, I was delightfully full. I then ran down to the general store to purchase some Cokes to wash down the cow I just ate. It was dark by now, and I threw my wet clothes into the dryer. I didn't care about washing, but I did learn that warm clothes plus body odor does not equal a pleasant smell.

While I was waiting for my foul garments to dry, I sat on the porch and chatted with David (the Indian man who worked at the hostel) and Tom (who we had met over a week ago when he was taking zeros because of a hurt foot - we're still in disbelief that he passed us). David was a little drunk at this point. He is in search of a man for me, and even offered up his 26 year old son, who by his account is cool. I told him my only standards for men were they had to have a job and a car, and he brought up the fact that he had two cars and two jobs. I had to let him down and explain to him that he was over qualified. He then admired my toes.

Later in the evening, Tom apologized on David's behalf, saying that in the three days he stayed here, he had never acted like that. That's when Matt explain to Tom that I attract weirdos. Tom said I created one, which is a new thing for me.

The evening wrapped up in the bunkroom, where I stayed with Tom, Matt, and Murphy. I tried to get everyone to push the beds together for a snugglefest, but I had no takers. We talked to Tom for a bit before falling asleep at midnight. It was a happy end to a rain-filled day.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.