« Home | June 29 » | June 28 » | June 27 » | June 26 » | June 25 » | June 24 » | June 23 » | June 22 » | Breaking News: We Have Trail Names » | June 21 » 

Saturday, June 30, 2007 

June 30

Today was by far the saddest day in the history of my hiking career.

I didn't head out until 2. I'm not sure how that happened exactly. We woke up around nine, which was already late, because I had made some crazy statement that I wanted to do 14 miles. Well, that definitely didn't happen.

From nine to ten, I fell in and out of sleep. I then woke up and looked through the People magazine I had received in my drop box. I then shared a loaf of poppy seed bread with Matt. I eventually evicted myself from the slumber party, but accomplished nothing. I got back in my tent to change clothes, and ended up falling asleep. It got to be about one when I woke up. I spent the next hour stuffing everything back in my pack. I was all ready to go at two, but I had to make a pit stop at the privy. Finally, I was a hiking machine at 2:15.

The first hour was an easy downhill to a river. There was a couple on the other side with two dogs. The dogs went crazy and probably wanted to eat me. I safely made it across. I then began the next hour and a half of hell.

I had to climb over 1000 vertical feet in less than a half mile. It was a practically a straight vertical climb. The views were great views, but it was a tiring climb. Once I got done with that part, I decided to make my own trail, which I found out at camp after Matt (who had been following my footprints) told me. Instead of following the correct trail, I followed the old trail. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any white blazes, but since I was on a trail, I kept on going.

I eventually got back on the current trail, the old and new trail eventually met up. The rest of the hike to the lean-to was cold, but quick. I made it there by 7:30, which was faster than I thought I would make it. I was hoping Matt was close behind, because I was cold and wanted to cook some dinner. He eventually showed up a little past 8. I was a little iced lollie by then.

He wanted pizza, but I was too cold to get fancy. He set up his tent, and I quickly climbed inside. We settled on mashed potatoes and beef jerky for dinner. It was a delightful warm up. We stayed warm in the tent, and were glad we chose to set it up, because there was a pair of heavy snorers in the lean-to.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.