« Home | June 28 » | June 27 » | June 26 » | June 25 » | June 24 » | June 23 » | June 22 » | Breaking News: We Have Trail Names » | June 21 » | June 20 » 

Friday, June 29, 2007 

June 29

After an evening in town, it was time to head back to the trail. The shuttle was scheduled to leave at 9:30. The post office opened at 9 and I still had to resupply. I went to the general store and bought a Cherry Coke for breakfast. I was hoping to hit up the diner for breakfast, but Matt was still asleep, and I didn't want to go alone.

When I got back to the hotel, I got on the computer and ordered the 2007 Thru-Hikers' Companion. I had been using the 2006 version. I also ordered a new tent. It will be free standing, whereas my old one wasn't.

I then went to the grocery store to attempt to work out some sort of dining plan for the next few days. I ended up buying candy. I also purchased Cheez-Its. It was beyond pathetic. I then hurried back and dumped everything in my food bag. I tossed everything in my pack, and threw it in the lady's truck.

I then headed off to pick up my packages. I forwarded my bounce box and went through the boxes mother sent. I took out the good stuff, and jammed everything back into one box and sent it on to Rangely. When I went outside, the lady was waiting for me. Matt was still at the hotel, and was going later. I hopped in and was off to the trail.

After being dropped off, I attempted to organize all my stuff into my pack. It took me quite a while. By the time I was done, Matt had been dropped off. We were joined by Murphy, who had just come out of the woods. He was waiting for Whiskers, who was about an hour behind him. I shared my poppy seed bread with him. We all chatted for awhile, and then we were on our way.

Nothing too exciting happened in route to the campsite. Matt realized he didn't buy cheese for the pizza until about two hours in. He contemplated running back to town to get some, but I talked him out of it.

When we got to the campsite, there was a group of boys there. They were from the same camp as the ones that were doing maintenance, but they were just out hiking. We arrived too late to mooch dinner, but we had hot dogs. Matt did work out a trade with them: he gave them most of his Oreos for a block of cheese.

It was a cold night. We both got to set up our tents. I quickly feel asleep, but woke up a few hours later, freezing. I snuck into Matt's tent, because it's a 4 season, and is much better retaining heat. He didn't notice until twenty minutes later when he woke up. He poked me because he thought I was some sort of animal.

The rest of the night was warm.

About me

  • I'm hiking the trail for the first time.
  • My brother is taking the emails I send and posting them for everyone to read.
  • It's almost like you're there.
  • I'm currently in New Hampshire.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mbontheat. Make your own badge here.

Archives

    a COOLPLACE - coolpeoplecare.org

MB on the AT is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.